Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Good Night, Moon

Good Night, Moon 12x12 Oil on RayMar panel


Early in November in 2012 the full moon was spectacular as it shone through the layered clouds in the night sky.
I couldn't resist this view from my backyard.

Soren Emil Carlson











I'm not entirely happy with this painting and will revisit it at some point, so we'll call it a work in progress -- waiting for answers or solutions.   I've found lately that if I let a painting sit on my mantle where I can see it often, I begin to see areas in the painting that need some additional thought and paint application.  Sometimes it's an edge that is too hard, sometimes, I just haven't achieved the feeling or the spirit of the painting.  SOMETIMES an area will stick out and look odd... It looked perfectly fine while I was working on it, but suddenly a floating bear or something appears!   Once it's seen, it never goes away.

           Painting by Soren Emil Carlson   (above)  
        
This painting was inspired by a beautiful night with a full moon and great clouds.   We had been talking about such great artists as Soren EGeorge Carlsonmil Carlson and George Carlson while in David Gallup's class, so I decided to attempt to capture this scene while channeling these two greats.

Painting by George Carlson (right)   

I was fairly happy with my sky and moon (although I'm sure those areas could use more work also) but the palms and foreground bushes really gave me trouble.  They are backlit by the moon.  --- That's a lot different than being backlit by the sun.   Anyway, I played with them for a while and this is what I've got so far.

I'll let you know if I figure out how to make this the painting I really want it to be. 

********
BTW....   If you enjoy reading this blog and would like to get it regularly, you can click on that little icon on the left side of my FASO blog that looks like this:

Follow this Blog         (or you can just click on this...)    Anyway, I'd sure appreciate it if you wanted to "follow" my musings.
Comment on or Share this Article >>

4 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

Quite honestly, I like your clouds better than Carlson's. They are more realistic. I also like the way you've blurred and faded to blue some of the more distant trees. A beautiful show of depth. Hope you leave it alone; it is just lovely, Marian.

Marian Fortunati said...

Thanks, Sherry... I appreciate that, but you know how it is, when you just feel you need to do a bit more to make it "right"???

Happy holidays to you and yours.

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi there Marian!.. A wonderful Nocturne! You have capture that wonderful gossimer glow which are created when moon and cloud work their wonders together!

We can all learn through the study of master works... since most of us are indeed visual learners... out of necessity! Use your strength! HA HA!!

Good Painting!

Warmest greetings of the season to you and yours!
Bruce

Marian Fortunati said...

Hi Bruce!!
I love learning from all of the masters.
Thanks again for dropping by.

Please Enjoy Some Of My Paintings

or subscribe by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner