Thursday, March 7, 2013

Undersea Choreography - Beautiful Memories

Undersea Choreography -- 12x12 Oil on RayMar canvas

Several years ago I painted a little 6x6 painting which represented a wonderful memory of snorkeling in the water off of Anacapa Island, a small island in the Channel Islands National Park.  The painting was called "Underwater Ballet".  It hangs on my bedroom wall and each time I see it, I smile with the memory.
 

It was the first year that David Gallup had led a group of painters and adventurers to the Islands aboard an 85 foot dive boat called the Conception.

For me it was many firsts.  My first time on San Miguel Island......  My first time in a kayak......  Not my first time snorkeling, but certainly my first time swimming and snorkeling alongside sea lions!   It was scary and funny and thrilling and ... -well, just a wonderful experience.

With the upcoming "Art For Animals" show at Gale's Restaurant in Pasadena, I decided to paint several additional "animal" paintings.   My most recent is another celebrating those beautiful, magical and seemingly choreographed sea lions and they twirl around the kelp waving in the surf.


*****

I'll have two different opening receptions this weekend:
Saturday, March 9, 6-10  CAL Gold Medal Exhibition - Silvana Gallery - Glendale, CA

Sunday, March 10, 3-6  Art For Animals - Gale's Restaurant - Pasadena, CA

I'd love to see you there!




If you enjoy reading my blog, you may want to subscribe to it:
You might also be interested in receiving my free "almost monthly" newsletter:

Marian Fortunati Fine Art Email Newsletter
Thanks so much!!!
 
 
Comment on or Share this Article >>

2 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

You have captured the magic of this memory in this painting, Marian. I love this and I wish I could have swam with the seals myself. Love the colors here too, the bits of lilac take it right over the top for me.

Marian Fortunati said...

Hi Sherry... We all have unique experiences that stay with us forever... this was one of mine... I'm sure you have many as well!
I always appreciate your comments, Sherry... Thanks!

Please Enjoy Some Of My Paintings

or subscribe by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner