Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Making a Trial Run

Canyon Grove 6x8 Oil on RayMar panel


A little scene from my nearby canyon --
I will probably continue to paint the sycamores whenever I'm moved to explore my own back yard. 
They are infinitely beautiful and varied.




I am so excited.  I leave in a little over a week for a 10 day river rafting trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  We'll be camping and painting.  Kevin Macpherson will be leading the workshop and I am very excited to learn all I can from him.  Cody DeLong will be the artist with painting and rafting experience in the Grand Canyon.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get all the gear I might need to camp and ride the river.   Although I totally love my EasyL box, I thought it might be a bit big for this excursion.  So I borrowed a slightly smaller EasyL pochade from my girlfriend.  Actually we switched.  I had the smallest EasyL box, but thought it was too small and she had the pochade box that was between the smallest and my size.  Anyway, I've used it a few times and it seems just right.  Then Guerrilla box offered a tiny thumb box "second" for 1/2 price... So I bought it - couldn't resist the deal.
 
The Thumb Box

Well, one should never set out on an outing without using the equipment / clothing / etc.   I've also been re-reading Macpherson's book and was reminded that he painted his nearby pond every day of the year.  I thought to myself, "Well, I don't have a pond, but I do have a canyon right up the street."   So I popped my paints into that little thumb box and hiked down into the canyon. 

I found a cluster of my favorite trees amid the grasses of the canyon.   I kept trying to look for interesting shapes and patterns.   And I kept asking myself what was the reason I wanted to paint what I painted.  

The little pochade box will only hold 6x8, 8x8, or 8x10 panels but it worked just fine.   I learned that I need to think about where to put brushes, and my turpenoid.  I am so used to hanging them off the side of my EasyL.  All in all it was an enjoyable trial run and a great learning experience.

Although I won't be able to do any blogging while I'm on the trip, you can be sure I'll be writing about it both in my blog and in my newsletter.  If you're interested you can get my blog posts sent to you by clicking on the RSS feed here:

or you can sign up for my monthly art e-newsletter by completing the info on this link:
*indicates required
  



Comment on or Share this Article >>

4 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

Love when you can find beautiful areas so close to home! I am right by the river and canal, all tree-lined and I should get my butt out there one of these days! I'm excited for your trip.

Judy P. said...

What a great workshop adventure you will have! I hope you do write about your experiences, and what you will learn from Kevin Macpherson.

Marian Fortunati said...

YES!!! Sherry... Good idea... get your "butt" out there and enjoy the beauty around you!!!!
:o)

Marian Fortunati said...

Yes, Judy... I am really looking forward to it and will relate as much as I can when I return!!!
Thanks for dropping by and for leaving a comment!

Please Enjoy Some Of My Paintings

or subscribe by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner