Sunday, May 5, 2013

ADVENTURE!!! -- All Packed and Ready to Go River Rafting With Kevin Macpherson... EGAD!!!

Seacliff Oil on Canyon 20x20

I can't believe it!   The time has just flown by and I leave tomorrow bright and early with two equally adventurous women whom I have never met.  We live within 80 miles of one another and will share the ride together on our way to Arizona.

It all started last year when I received an amazing email about a painting workshop led by Kevin Macpherson.  The group would be river rafting through the Grand Canyon and camping and painting along the Colorado River.  As soon as I saw the email, my mind went back to my early years of wanting to actually go down into the canyon.  I remembered how much I loved the book "Brighty" when I was a girl.  Since then, I've visited many times, but I have never gone into the canyon.  Mind you, I didn't actually have river rafting in mind all those years back, but ... hey...  as my wonderful little guy, Tyler, keeps saying "YOLO*!".

     Grand Canyon Paintings by Kevin Macpherson

I jumped on it and called the same day I received the email notice.  It turned out that the trip had already filled and I was first on the waiting list.  I couldn't decide whether to be relieved or disappointed.   But a few months later I got a call saying that someone had chickened dropped out and now there was space for me on the trip.   I took a deep breath and thought... YOLO!

Tyler's 13 and he's saying YOLO..   but he's right.

I'm no longer a teenager... (not by a very long shot).  I'm not a camper.  The river's 50 degrees.  I hate being cold...  and I get up at night a lot.   It's going to be interesting.  It's going to be a great ADVENTURE. 

I actually a bit anxious, but I am so looking forward to the new experience.   I can't wait to learn all I can from Kevin Macpherson.  I'm told he's a super nice guy and a great teacher.  And I can always learn more.  Plus...  there will be so many beautiful places to paint. 

I've been so totally wrapped up in several volunteer projects for the last couple of weeks and I am SOOOO glad to get away.    I'll be away until May 18th and during that time I'll be off-line.  No cell phones.  No internet.  Only beautiful and awe-inspiring mother nature.

*******
And what does any of this have to do with the painting at the top of the page?? 
NOTHING

I painted this before everything got so busy and never had a chance to blog about it.  It is a scene from a road trip I went on with another friend last fall.   We had a ball.   Life is beautiful.
Seacliff

I entered it in FASO's monthly BOLD BRUSH contest and look what happened!  :o)
***************
Congratulations! Your painting, "Seacliff", was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury's favorite 15% of the entries)
in the March 2013 BoldBrush Painting competition.
You may view the FAV15% paintings, including yours:
http://faso.com/boldbrush/fav15/104
This honor means that you might be featured in http://informedcollector.com in the coming months.
Please login to your account and make sure your bio info is current if you want any additional info to run in that article.
Thanks again and congrats again!

Sincerely,

Clint Watson
Software Craftsman and Art Fanatic

******
*Just in case you don't already know... YOLO is one of those words that has come about from texting.  It means "You Only Live Once".   (So in my mind... live it well!!)

I'll let you know all about it when I return.   Until then... hasta la vista baby!


Comment on or Share this Article >>

1 comment:

CrimsonLeaves said...

It is a fabulous piece and I can see why it was a favorite, Marian. I hope you have a fabulous trip!!

Please Enjoy Some Of My Paintings

or subscribe by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner